Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Daddy, My Hero=O)

This is my Pop. He is such a wonderful, handy man!

The last snow/ice that we received a dumping of a few weeks ago, wrecked 1/3 of my bumper. It was 10:50pm and I had to work at 11pm. I was running a bit behind. I had been to the clinic the nite before it started with a sinus infection, so I didn't realize how much we got til I went to work. I cleaned off my car and proceeded to leave, even tho the driveway wasn't shoveled. It is my landlord's responsibility to shovel, but as my Pop told me, if they don't do it, it's up to me. Anywho, I just wanted to blame someone other than myself;o) Well, I pulled out and my driveway is a bit on a slant. I could hear it scrape, but it's done that a few times this winter, so I wasn't thinking anything of it.
I then was ready to drive forward on the road and realized something was on it. I thot it looked like a big shovel. And I was wondering how my shovel got out of my trunk(Yes, I know, can we say blond moment;oP) Anywho, I then realized it was part of my car. So I pulled back in the driveway and picked it up, looked at it, knew nothing can be done rite now and I really need to get to work, threw it in the passenger seat and took off to work. I decided I would look at it in the morning when I could actually see what happened. Well, the above pictures is what I saw! I was not overly thrilled, but what's done was done. So I checked everything and the headlights, etc still worked perfectly. Nothing was really damaged, other than the fog lamp bulb broken, and it really was just looks that was an issue. It looked ugly, but to me, I didn't really care, since while I'm driving, I don't have to look at it;o)
I got an oil change the next day and had them look at it. They told me they couldn't fix it but told me to go to Sparkle and get an estimate. So off I went to Sparkle and he took pictures and went thru the process of pricing the whole deal. I asked him if he could just put what the piece I had back on it somehow. He said no, but I was determined it can be done! Even if it meant doing it myself. All in all, the price he quoted me at was $779 and something cents. And it would be an overnite job.
I showed my Pop and told him that I was still determined to somehow reattach it myself because the piece that came off was still in perfect condition! And even if I got a new bumper and didn't have them paint it to match my car, it still would have cost just under $400. Who has that kind of money just sitting around? Certainly not me!!!
This past Friday nite, I went to my parents to watch a movie with Susie and my Pop asked if I wanted him to try to fix my bumper. I told him DEFINITELY! He had told me he's seen on the race car channel how they sometimes put bumpers back on using ties. So off he went to the garage to work on it. After a bit, I felt, since it's my car, I should really go out to help him.
So off I went and we worked on it for I don't know how long. And guess what??? We DID IT!!! My Pop is amazing! And you can hardly tell that it was ever broken(except for the big crack in the front). But you can't tell from the side at all. My Pop saved me almost $800! And I think it looks amazing! And I told him, "See??? I told you it was possible to put it back together somehow!"
The only thing that still needs to be done is put some glue stuff on the crack so that it will stay in place. But Pop says that should be done when it's warmer out.
But take a look at how it turned out:
See, you can hardly notice, rite?
Those are the ties used to hold it together and there's one more further under that you can't see.
And see? From the side, you can't even tell it ever came off!
Isn't my Pop awesome!?! I LOVE him to pieces and LOVE that he is so handy and was/is willing to help his daughter out!
Thanks again POP!!! I think it looks FABULOUS=0)

2 comments:

Household of Faith said...

Glad that Dad was able to fix your bumper! And that it saved you $$ too! Looks really good!

Anita said...

That is very impressive! I love it when things can be fixed at home. And the idea of using a tie is super smart. I shall have to remember it. I much prefer the tied on look (which is not very obvious at all) to losing almost $800!! :-)